Wednesday, March 23, 2016

11. Starting Shadows

In June of 2015... That was a little less than a year ago... I wrote the third book in the Magic Halberd series.
This one felt like one of those books where I should have practiced a lot more before I wrote it, I feel like I did a very sloppy job on a lot of things. Every time I drew the bad-guy he looked too different and his poses were terrible. Ugh. I'm not going to show you any pictures of him at the moment (because I sort of want to fix some things). I did do some really cool things I'd like you to see though. This book is the first one where I started shading things a lot more, that might be why I feel like it looks so sloppy is because this was pretty much my shading practice.
That cover looks pretty good... But I drew that when I was almost finished.

Here is a scene I want to show you that I really love. The continent that most of the story takes place on is REALLY BIG, and I hate drawing people walking to their destination, so I put this little scene in here to show that the Halberdier and his team are interactive while they travel (because I usually have to put a "later" somewhere in the panel).
Rasper doesn't talk like normal people, he is from one of the poorer regions of the Knight Territories, so excuse his bad grammar (also excuse me for not giving him punctuation, also keep in mind that I wrote this in pen and it hasn't been edited yet.).



You'll notice that Rasper has a shadow in some panels and not in others, I still need to go through and edit this book in a lot of places. 

This next scene starts with a piece of another scene at the beginning of the page, you don't have to pay attention to any of that.
This scene has a lot of good facial emotions in it.
Another problem I had with this book was the backgrounds, I put more detail into some of them than I put into the characters in front of them. That is never a good thing to do.

This next scene just shows some of the Knights in action.
Ummm.... That wasn't blood, they're trees, so it was sap!

Now I'll admit, I still do like this one, the art may not have turned out how I wanted it to, but the story in it is still very important.

I really hope to share this stuff with you all soon! Not just these scenes, but all of it!




No comments:

Post a Comment