Sunday, February 21, 2016

3. A Stick-Man's Face Is His Greatest Treasure

After pages and pages of practice I FINALLY FINISHED BLADE!!! And that was all the way back in 2013, the same year I started writing graphic novels instead of weird little random 1-2 page stories. Here is more of what Blade looked like at the end:
As you can see, this is on page 94. Compared to page 1 this looks a ton better. 
(I'm sorry my handwriting gets so small if you were trying to read it (I can write in microscopic fine print))
So what made this even better than Everlasting, or the previous pages of Blade?
Well, take a look at those faces! I have implemented emotion into my characters. Even the ninjas are showing fear and anger (and we can't even see their face).

Whenever I ask people what they think I did best in my comic after they read them, they almost always tell me it's the Facial Expressions. So what can I teach you about Facial Expressions?
Now I'm definitely no Art Teacher, but I have been told that i'm good at this, which means I must know something about it right?
First, what are the most important parts of the face for this?

1. Eyebrows
2. Wrinkles (Dimples, crease lines, stretch marks,.. etc)
3. Teeth.
4. Eyes.
I mean let's be honest! Stick-figures don't really have anything else on their face right?

I have probably spent a good 8-10% of my life making faces in front of the mirror, and I really mean it. I think this helps because I have a very flexible face, that's about all I'm flexible with though.
Make some faces though!
Display anger (for example) on your face in front of the mirror. Notice how your eyebrows are curved and at what height they are at. Notice the creases on your forehead and your chin/cheek areas. Notice the shape of your eye, are you squinting? Are your eyes bulging?
And the last tip: Over-exaggerate and just experiment with faces, I'm sure that helped me the most. (Put fire in the background if they're angry, put hearts for eyes, darken the background if they're scared... etc) 









No comments:

Post a Comment